Lakeview Academy Board of Trustees Meeting
Agenda October 8, 2020 at 7:00 p.m.
527 West 400 North Saratoga Springs, Utah
The mission of Lakeview Academy is to develop Capable, Confident, and Contributing members of society through learning experiences that foster growth, creativity, and character development.
The purpose of the board, on behalf of the citizens of Utah, is to see to it that Lakeview Academy (1) achieves what it should according to the Lakeview Academy Charter and state laws and (2) avoids unacceptable actions and situations.
Supporting materials, draft minutes, financial documents, and recordings may be found in the following places: Lakeview-academy.com, Utah.gov/pmn, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1. Welcome and Roll Call
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Director's Report
- Language Arts Benchmark Scores
- Math Benchmark Scores
- Board Member Reports
- Financial Reports Ending August 31, 2020
- AIM Up Charter Scoreboard Ending August 31, 2020
- Balance Sheet Report Ending September 30, 2020
- Income Statement Report Ending September 30, 2020
- Check Register Report Ending August 31, 2020
- Consolidated APR Report Ending August 31, 2020
- Public Comment: The public may address any issue not related to items already on the agenda. Please state your name for the official minutes and be concise.
- Board Business
- Calendaring Board Retreat for the purpose of school goals, objectives, and review of Director's goals
- Consent Agenda
- Minutes September 10, 2020
- Financial Statement report Ending August 31, 2020
- AEGIS Business Resource Licensing Agreement
- Proposed Board Meeting Calendar
- Action Items
- School LAND Trust Council Members
- School LAND Trust Principal Assurances
- School LAND Trust Report 2019-2020
- Service Animal Policy (Redline Service Animal Policy)
- Protocols for Establishing Subcommittees (Redline Board Committee Principal Policy)
- LEA Specific Educator License Requirements Policy
- Closed Session
- A motion to enter a closed session in accordance with Utah Code 52-4-205 for the purpose of discussion of litegation matters, acquisition of real property, or authorized personnel issues.
- Action, if any, from closed session.
Lakeview Academy Board Meeting
Public Comment and Pattern of Formality Guidelines
The following are guidelines that were taken from Robert’s Rules of Order and modified to assist the Lakeview Academy.
- During the agenda under the Public Comment section, the public may address any issue not related to items already on the agenda. Please state your name for the official minutes. Please be mindful of the length of the board meeting and limit your comments to two minutes.
- After an item has been introduced and debated by the board, the President will call for Public comment on that item only. Each public attendee shall have the opportunity to speak two times on the same issue on the same day. It shall proceed that everyone will be given their first opportunity to speak before anyone will be given their second opportunity.
- To maintain order, if someone from the public is out of order, the President will verbally counsel them by calling, “point of order.”
Order of Debate
- The item will be introduced by the sponsor if the sponsor is not present then the President will assign someone to do the introduction.
- Members debate the item (unless no one wished to debate it). Each member is allowed two separate opportunities to speak on the item.
- The President will then open the item up for Public Comment following the directions in public comment section 2.
- The item will then be opened up to the Board for additional debate if necessary.
- A member makes a motion by saying, “I move that…” if it is long; it should be prepared in writing and given to the President or Secretary. If no motion is made then the item dies, and no further debate will occur.
- Another board member may amend the motion. If the motion is amended the President asks is their any objection to adopting the amendment. If no objection is made, the chair may declare the amendment adopted. If even one member objects, however the amendment is subject to debate and vote like any other motion.
- If the motion is amended the President may open it up to further board comment if necessary.
- The President will then call the question and take a vote on the item.
- The President announces the vote.
Pattern of Formality
- The President should be addressed as Mister or Madam President as appropriate.
- Wait to be acknowledged verbally or with a nod before speaking by the President.
- Speak only to the President or though him/her.
- Avoid personalizing any issue; speak to the subject, not the person you disagree with. An example of this would be if you believe something said to be untrue, you would say, I believe the member is mistaken instead of saying something was a lie.
- If anyone breeches Robert’s Rules or for example speaks out of turn, it is called a point of order and will be corrected by the President or any other board member that catches it. One would say, “Point of Order” The President would acknowledge the person and they would say what breech occurred. The President would then say “the point of order is well taken” or in unfounded, “the point of order is not well taken.
Questions Board Members Consider When Making a Decisions
- How will the decision affect the school?
- How does this decision relate to our mission statement and philosophy?
- What’s the potential for legal problems if I vote yes? What if I vote no?
- Does this decision affect:
- The students and families we serve? How?
- Lakeview Academy’s staff? How?
- The community? How?
- The Board of Trustees itself? How?
- Have we voted on this matter before? If yes, why are we considering it again? How have the conditions changes?
- Do I have all the information I need to make a sound decision? What questions should I ask before making this decision?
- If someone asked me to justify why I made this decision, can I explain my decision?